Search This Blog

Monday 3 March 2014

Birthday Boy

Birthday Boy (reflections on being yet another year older.  My take on existential angst)

It’s funny how things can easily change,
How your view on life drops through the gears,
But your perspective can turn right around,
When you find yourself advancing in years.

I remember the early excitement,
When I was just a very young boy.
The anticipation of birthdays,
Would bring weeks of advancing joy.

How many cards and presents would there be?
When would my mother begin to bake?
How big and what kind of icing,
On top of my own birthday cake?

Would there be a party and some treats?
With games and plenty of laughter,
A day that would stick in the mind,
And provide memories for long after?

But things are all different now,
And I find my trepidation mounting.
After I’d got as far as fifty,
That’s when I really stopped counting.

There’s no special cake I’m having today,
But if bought from a shop you’d need handles.
It would have to be a massive confection,
If there was to be room for all of the candles.

They’d make up a blazing conflagration,
Of that you should have very little doubt,
And I don’t think I’d have the breath these days,
To blow every one of them out.

I’m no longer sure this day’s all that special.
Why make such a fuss of today?
Yesterday had no unique features,
And tomorrow’s just an ordinary day.

The few cards I get from those that remember,
Fall limply through my letter-box.
There isn’t enough of them to make up a pile,
And my birthday hopes are all mocked.

I don’t want to make any bother or fuss:
It would be good to get a nice present,
For I don’t want to be forgotten quite yet,
Or just seen as an ancient monument.

Once I hoped I’d die before I got old,
But you can see I’m not getting younger,
I’ve still got a great zest for life, though,

And for new things I continue to hunger.

And as I reflect on this anniversary,
And I head towards some veneration,
I begin to think about my own children,
And I’m talkin’ ‘bout my generation.

So don’t give up on me too soon,
Just because I’m advancing in years.
I can still go down to the pub, you know,
Yes, I can still sink a few beers!

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2014

No comments: