Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Lost

Lost

I’m sorry, but I’m too upset to talk,
I’ve had one awful helluva day -
My life has suddenly become empty,
Now that my pal, young Bob, has gone astray.

I’m going to offer a reward:
It doesn’t matter - whatever the cost,
For I’ve got to have that little chap back,
Now that he’s gone missing, now that he’s lost.

You’d probably do the same thing as me,
If you were feeling as miserable and down,
I’ll print some posters with his picture,
And pin them to poles all around town.

You see Bob could easily get lost in a crowd -
He’s just a pigeon, when all’s said and done,
But he was always my bosom companion,
And together we’d always had such fun.

As a pigeon he’s just a common breed,
Not fancy, not tumbler, nor homer.
I never thought that he might wander away,
That he’d become restless, or a roamer.

He’s a very special little bird,
Of which any man would be proud,
So I’ll give you a detailed description,
To distinguish him from the rest of the crowd.

He’s only about ten inches long,
Six inches tall and quite sweet.
He’s covered in black and grey feathers,
And he’s got dainty orange and pink feet.

He weighs just under a pound,
When he’s walking around on his deck.
There’s a special look in his beady eye,
And there’s little green hues round his neck.

His absence has left a hole in my heart -
I don’t know what I’m doing,
So your help I am wooing,
His little habits I’m ruing,
I miss his billing and cooing,
And even his constant pooing.

I need him back for my sanity -
The feeling is cutting,
My insides it’s gutting,
Hear me cursing & tutting,
I miss his beak jutting,
When he’s doing his strutting,
In his season of rutting.

I fear that he may be a target -
It hurts, but it must be confessed,
He’s quite a well-fed little bird,
And he bears a very plump breast.

He’s easily tempted by a few crumbs,
Just like the other birds in the town.
He flaps his wings quite a lot,
And his little head bobs up and down.

So please keep all your eyes peeled -
Together we can do a good job.
Mind, he could be dangerous if cornered,
So, remember, he answers to Bob.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2014

No comments: