Search This Blog

Monday 14 March 2016

Roundway Hill

Roundway Hill

Sitting at last, gathering breath,
From the hard climb up the track,
Staring across the ancient landscape,
Allowing myself at last to look back
Towards the far village steeple,
Rising through late morning haze,
Shimmering in the distance,
Attracting my sun-dazzled gaze.

Calves and feet gently aching,
Boots well covered in fine dust,
Kicked up by my plodding progress
Through the chalk’s crumbling crust.
Orchids peer shyly through the long grass
Of this upland meadow where calmly I wait,
Tiny, quick flashes of colour,
Right down the track to the gate.

Butterflies dance in gaudy profusion,
Fluttering round, ignoring the heat,
And a fox flees into the wood,
Less than fifty yards from my seat.
Far below me, down in the cornfield,
Seeming like dots, are boxing hares,
Standing, running, darting and feinting,
Pre-occupied with Spring-mating cares.

Recovered, exhaling slowly,
Back on my feet, I continue the climb,
The steady tramp, tramp of the boots,
Marking out the rhythm of time.
Head gently clearing, eyes lifting,
Up to the summit of the long hill,
Driving my aching legs forward,
With the sheer force of my will.

No thought for the tension and stress,
That can clutter my mind these days:
Exhaustion drives it all out,
And calms my soul in so many ways.
Daily detoxification
Can be found on this high ground,
And the tiredness of an aching body,
Works like a drug, leaving me sound.


 Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2016

No comments: