Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 July 2016

Sorry - An All-Purpose Apology

Sorry – An All-Purpose Apology

Ladies and gentlemen – listen to me please:
There’s a reason that I’ve come here today,
And it’s with a very heavy heart,
That I must spit out what it is that I have to say.

I’m deeply sorry for what has happened,
It really should not have occurred.
If there was any way to undo what is done,
I think that’s what I’d have preferred.

But we are, unfortunately, where we are:
I have to speak of something that’s not good -
My only plea in slight mitigation,
Is that I was misunderstood.

My retraction is totally unreserved,
I hope that any bad feelings can be paused,
I’m looking for some forgiveness here,
And I’m sorry for any offence that I caused.

I may have given a false impression,
Of what it was that I really meant.
I suppose that I may have mis-spoken,
That my words came out all tangled and bent.

These situations can cause such ill-feeling,
When one party ends up being offended,
So I hope that we can draw a line under this now,
And that any misunderstanding is ended.

It’s shame-faced that I stand here before you,
I’m not feeling proud you can bet,
And it’s been a great learning experience,
When all I’ve got to express is regret.

So let’s clear the air if we can -
Banish ill-will and things of that guise
I haven’t the foggiest what I’m supposed to have done
But, nevertheless, I’d like to apologise.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2016

No comments: