Search This Blog

Friday 28 October 2016

Cat's Cry

Cat’s Cry

How your crying disturbs me
Makes me sit up and take notice
And listen to your distress
To your prowling round the room
Snuffling among the shifting shadows
Along the edges and into deep corners
Seeking something that is not there
And that you will never find

The pitiful, lonely sound
That mewling tone
Of existential angst
That smacks of fear and desperation
And catches at my pity
Snags on something
That makes me want to comfort you
To tell you that it’s alright
That I’m always here for you

But you do not understand me
When I try to soothe you
My words of comfort carry no sense
In your feral feline world
And soon the frenzy passes
Back into forgetfulness
And you resume your normal cool indifference
As you suddenly cease to enquire
Into the meaning of your existence


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2016

No comments: