Search This Blog

Monday 24 October 2016

Night-time Navigation

Night-time Navigation

I hope you won’t mind me telling you this,
But there’s something I have to confess:
I’ve got this disembodied voice that I hear,
But where it’s coming from - I just cannot guess.

Sometimes, whilst I’m sleeping and dreaming,
That is to say, this happens during the night,
Being of a certain age, you see,
I often find that my bladder is tight.

I find I have to get up for relief,
And I desperately want to go to the loo:
I’ve got to find the bathroom quite quickly,
In order to do what it is that I’ve got to do.

But as I disentangle the covers,
I cannot but observe it’s pitch black,
And if I were to wake up the old lady,
She’d surely give me a smack.

I’m half asleep, and I can’t really see:
In fact, there’s no sort of landmark,
So I have to find my way to the toilet,
Without the aid of a lamp, in the dark.

That’s where my automatic pilot comes in:
As I quietly slip out from the bed,
Through many years of custom and practice,
I can hear the voice speaking inside my head.

“Go forward four paces, then turn to the left,
Carry on - right to the end of the wall,
Exit carefully into the next room,
And be careful that you don’t fall!”

“Proceed three steps, and the toilet you’ll find:
You are located before the loo station,
Now stop! and switch off your engine -
You have arrived at your destination!”

It’s curious I can do this whilst asleep,
I think it’s just a gift that I have.
I’m thinking of selling on the idea –
Tom Tom could market it as “Sat Lav”!


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2016

No comments: