Search This Blog

Friday 12 January 2018

An Idiot Abroad

An Idiot Abroad (or the dilemmas of trying to choose a holiday this year)

I could be gay, with a good holiday,
If there was any point choosing,
No, not even for boozing.
I’d be keener to be in Kenya,
It’d be neat to go to Crete
No, I just can’t compete.

I could do loads, over in Rhodes,
Or be well fed, while in the Med,
So I’ll stop home instead.
It’d be bliss, on the canals of Venice,
Or have a nice piece, walking in Nice,
I can’t even afford Greece.

I’d get fresh in Marrakesh,
The streets I’d comb, when in Rome,
I think I’d better stay home.
I wouldn’t be at a loss, if I went off to Kos,
It’d be a great day in Montego Bay,
But I guess in Wiltshire I’ll stay.

I could take her to Jamaica,
She’d be glad in Trinidad,
So she’ll only be sad.
I wouldn’t fear her in Madeira,
I’d talk to her in Majorca,
But we can’t even get to Minorca.

She said I was a wanker in Sri Lanka,
Why couldn’t we loll, on the Costa del Sol?
(She’s not always a doll).
I could be ruder in Bermuda,
Or be a dago in Tobago,
But I just can’t afford to go.

It might be finer in China,
I long to be in Hong Kong,
So it’s here I belong.
It wouldn’t be hell in The Seychelles,
My heart reaches for their beaches,
It’s what economics teaches.

I hear it’s grotty in Lanzarote,
I’d be a goer over in Goa,
Morale just couldn’t be lower.
I wouldn’t be a charley in Bali,
But I’d be free in gay Paree,
And it’s the World I want to see.

Just a breather in Ibiza,
Or we could booze on a long cruise,
There’s just nothing to choose.
So no more of package tours,
My best friend just wouldn’t lend
So it looks like a week in Southend.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2018

No comments: