Search This Blog

Monday 8 January 2018

Tandoori Nights

Tandoori Nights (or why I love an Indian curry)

As the sun sank down in the West,
I sank pints down the pub without worry,
And I found that I’d developed a craving:
What I needed next was a bloody hot curry.

You see KFC just wouldn’t cut it:
The chicken tasted like some old flab.
Fish and chips were no good at the time,
And I couldn’t go near a doner kebab.

There’s other things I could have had if I’d wanted:
Chinese – but you have to be in the right mood,
You’re usually hungry again an hour later,
And to be honest  it’s not my favourite food.

An Indian it had to be for me then,
It was no time to act like a shrinking lily,
Something to clear my sinuses out,
A meal with a kick of some chillie!

Poppadoms I started with, and some pickles,
Bhajias, pakoras and some tikka –
So hot that it made my throat go numb,
You can tell I’m an Indian thrill-seeker.

I’d no idea what next I should choose
Picking one was something of a great drama.
Dhansak, Madras or a hot Vindaloo -
Patia, Jalfreezie, or Chillie Masala?

Chicken, vegetable or lamb for main course?
A tough question I had to decide.
Cooked in which tasty, spicy sauce?
Cos I always like a bit on the side.

There was bhindi, gobi and aloo –
Vegetable koftas, dhal and some rice.
I had to have all of these dishes:
I didn’t care so long as there was plenty of spice.

I hadn’t even started yet on the breads:
Naans, rotis and chapattis all soft,
I mopped up the delicious sauces.
And four pints of lager I quaffed.

And when it was all ordered and eaten,
When I couldn’t eat one other thing,
When my stomach was finally beaten,
And my mouth continued to sting.

I’d finished my lager and was getting the bill,
I knew that I’d be back again in a hurry.
I’m starting to wonder if I’ll ever be cured,
Of this addiction I’ve got for a curry.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2018

No comments: