Search This Blog

Friday 25 May 2018

Vive La Difference!


Vive La Difference!

I could never learn a foreign language:
I’m far too proud of the English for that,
And, as for French, in particular,
My attempts at it always fall flat.

I’m too laissez-faire, I don’t really care,
But I think I should mention, en passant,
That I’m happy to enjoy their French food,
In a café with coffee and a croissant.

Some hors d’oeuvres would go down quite a treat,
Or the tastiest plate of Coq au Vin,
Moules mariniere and a bowl of frites:
I could eat them all, with chic and élan.

The grand fromages of France I simply adore:
Camembert, Brie and Roquefort for a start.
The fierce Maitre D’ holds no fears for me,
Working my way through the a la carte.

And the great wines of Burgundy and Loire,
From the Cotes Du Rhone, Provence and Bordeaux.
No sommelier’s gonna put me down,
Though far off-piste I’m willing to go.

Entre nous, I’m probably just lazy.
I’m blasé you can easily see,
For I just won’t put in the effort:
I want it all as a fait accompli.

Mon Dieu! I’d love to be a linguist,
But I find it tricky and hard:
So many Gallic twists and turns:
One has to be constantly en garde!

There’s the masculine and the feminine:
From these genders I’d need to be spared.
Sacre bleu! If you don’t watch what you say,
It’s easy to end up in the merde!

I could cause a major brouhaha,
My feckless faux pas considered crass.
The entente cordiale might be at risk,
Before I deliver the coup de grace.

There’s no obeisance in my renaissance,
I think I would lack the je ne sais quoi;
I just wouldn’t look right in a beret,
Casually smoking a Gaulois.
  
My daily entrée to every new day,
Is too lazy for many to ignore:
I just can’t get myself ensemble -
I think I lack the esprit de corps.

You see - I can’t speak a word of the French.
It’s obvious and easily seen,
So I sit and fume, with my nom de plume,
And on the debate bring down the guillotine.

Yes - I’d best stick to ‘Allo ‘Allo,
And try and do the best that I can.
I’ll hang on to my plain old English,
And sadly say “non – je ne regrette rien”!

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2018

No comments: