Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 August 2018

Fleeting Madness


Fleeting Madness

“Amor brevis furore est”

That day I thought my heart would burst
The blood boiling in my veins
A sickness at my stomach
Butterflies within
Every time I looked at you
Your eyelids flickering in the dazzling sun
Your lips parted in a gentle smile
Of mockery
And perhaps some pleasure

Reckless in my words
Hot and hasty, unthinking
Desperate to please, to promise anything
Urgent pleadings, passionate
Almost painful
Burning and breathless
Frightened lest you should turn away

I see it now
As a fleeting illness
Lasting but a little time
From which the fever passed its crisis
Symptoms resolved over many seasons
The heat now long dissipated
Calmer feelings restored
Cooler emotions to the fore
That messy madness gone
Replaced by a fine and clear indifference

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2018

No comments: