Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 March 2019

Red Shoes


Red Shoes

It’s a strange kind of wanting
An emptiness you could call it
But there is a hankering I have
A longing, a long-held desire
To complete my wardrobe
And fulfil a need I’ve had since youth
But had not the means
And when I knew no better

I must have a pair of red shoes
To peer out shyly from my denims
And show the world that I still have some style
And that I am still alive

But they cannot be bright or brazen
The wrong shade, not Royal Mail red
But dark as ox-blood, deep as bleeding
Soft, gentle tongues
Lurking beneath eyelets
With laces pulled through
And carefully tied with double bows
Hard soles and calf-leather uppers
To embrace my aging feet
And carry me through
Until I need footwear no longer

 Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: