Search This Blog

Saturday 9 March 2019

When I Am Sixty I Shall Wear A Hat


When I Am Sixty I Shall Wear A Hat

When I am sixty I shall wear a hat
Whether it be cold or not
I’m not sure what you think about the idea
The weather notwithstanding

I feel the time has come to adopt a little style
To assume a certain persona
A characteristic feature by which I am known
And seen about the town

I haven’t yet made a decision about the gloves and scarf
Although I think both are highly unlikely
For I do not want to be too encumbered
In my daily perambulations

But a modest titfer perched aloft
Covering what remains of my thin hair
May be that thing which is missing from my life
And makes a certain statement

And although it may slow me down
Owing to wind resistance
Its shape being unlikely to be streamlined
Perhaps I might appear a little taller

And people will recognise me from a distance
As I go about my daily business
And say to one another ‘there he goes –
The sixty-year-old that wears a hat.’


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: