Search This Blog

Friday 19 July 2019

Watch Batteries Fitted Here


Watch Batteries Fitted Here

I was having a grand day out
Wandering round the market one morn
When I spotted the stall-holder’s notice
That cheered me in the cold light of dawn

“Watch batteries fitted here” it said
That’ll be grand entertainment, I thought
So I settled myself in to wait
For the first customer to be caught

It was a quiet old morning
With not many punters around
The stall-holder eyed me suspiciously
Standing there, holding my ground

“Can I help you?” he asked me forthwith
Pointing to his watches, and his time-keeping ware
His clocks, his straps and his batteries
And his paraphernalia so rare.

By now a small crowd had gathered
Anticipating the up-coming show
Waiting for someone to buy something
Fascinated by a craftsman with know-how

He was a master performer and artiste
And with a wide range of tools he was kitted
I’d say there’s no greater spectacle
Than to actually watch a battery get fitted

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: