Search This Blog

Saturday 3 August 2019

All Hung Over


All Hung Over (or the morning after the night before)

If you could all talk a bit quieter,
And keep some of your noise down,
I’d be grateful to you for the favour,
For I’ve been a bit of a clown.

My head is terribly throbbing.
My mouth’s the bottom of a bird-cage,
And my tongue it’s all coated
My skin is burning in rage.

My limbs are all of a tremble,
And my throat is feeling all furred.
The room it is spinning round slowly,
And my vision has become decidedly blurred.

I can hardly bear to open my eyes.
I can’t stand this too-piercing light.
I’m suffering real badly this morning,
For the major sins of last night.

I badly need some Alka-Selzer,
To settle my stomach real quick.
I can’t stand here for much longer.
In fact, I think I’m going to be sick.

I’ve over-indulged – that’s clear.
I obviously don’t know when to stop.
But I’ll be alright tomorrow,
And I’ll never touch another drop.

The pounding pain in my head is real bad.
I think I started drinking last November,
But how I made it home again last night,
You know – I really can’t remember.

I guess it must have been quite a session.
I know that we started with beer,
Then we went on to spirits & cocktails.
After that, nothing’s quite clear.

There were drinking games and some forfeits.
I must have drunk lots and lots.
Just a few tequila slammers,
Then “drink your way through the bar” using shots.

My clothes are all of a mess,
And now I’m starting to worry.
For the brown stains on my shirt,
Shows that we must have stopped for a curry.

Or it could have been even worse.
If so, I’ll have to go into re-hab,
For the truth is I might have succumbed
To the charms of a doner kebab.
  
I’d like to lie down for a while,
At least until I’m feeling more chipper.
I’d like to get undressed,
But my fingers may not cope with the zipper.

They say the best cure is a full English,
Or an omelette with ham & quite cheesy,
But now every time I smell food,
I just start to feel queasy.

But, I’ll have just have to get a grip of myself,
And shake off this beer-smelling fog.
For the pub’s open again quite soon
And it’ll be time for some hair of the dog.

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: