Search This Blog

Monday 3 February 2020

Your Hand


Your Hand

I felt your hand holding tightly onto mine
To keep me from falling down
When I struggled to stand and walk
Unaided by your side
Stumbling through my early steps

I felt your hand gently touching mine
To stop me losing heart
And keeping faith with all my dreams
When I doubted my own intentions
Finding my uncertain way to you

I took your hand close within mine
To show that we would be forever joined
You and me against the world, my love
Words and promises and rings
An affirmation of intentions

I held their hands when they were small
So they should know that I was there
Other lives that looked like mine
But better, brighter in every way
My hopes for a greater future

And when I could no longer move
Nor leave this deathly bed
Your hand held tightly onto mine
And you talked and talked into the night
So that I should never be alone

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: