Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Not Everybody Finds Clowns Funny

Clown
Your appearance startles me
As I gaze upon your features
A painted face with rictus smile
Grease-paint make-up
Wide-eyed, red-nosed
The wig, the hat, the jacket
Huge shoes and trousers
Ill-fitting coloured garb
Exaggerated, extravagant and eccentric 

Your gestures make me flinch
Wild anarchic actions
Expansive and grotesque
Slapstick prat-falls, tumbling
To the crash of cymbals
Fool, comedic fall-guy
Miming pain and sorrow
A parade of emotions
And silent appeals to the comic gods 

The crowd’s reaction leaves me cold
Their laughter growing
Building to crescendo
Faces smile-illuminated
Marvelling at the timing
Of the crazy performance
Within the circus ring
Watching Whiteface and Auguste
Conducting clowning chaos 

But your deadpan muzzle leaves me cold
Your sinister expression
Raises phobic fear and terror
My voice sticks in my throat
To me you are no joking jester
Nor clowning priest of mirth
But a chill reminder
Of a nightmare presence
From dark anarchic night


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2012

No comments: