Search This Blog

Saturday 18 March 2017

Half-way There

Half-way There

I confess it brought me up short
When I was forced to stop
And think hard about it
But I suppose I should not have been surprised
That even at my modest middle age
I was more than half-way along
Beyond some unnoticed landmark
Some signpost in the fog
Already past the highest peak
And The Great Divide

How many more heartbeats
To pump the blood along?
How many more times to fill the lungs
Or exhale once again?
To blink, to dream, to sleep?

And is the onward journey
The steps that still remain
On a gentle downhill slope
Towards a comfortable night
Where I can take my rest?
Or more a rapid tumble downwards
A sudden undignified descent
Of a craggy hillside full of stones
Falling, tumbling ever-faster
Towards a sudden painful end?


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2017

No comments: