Search This Blog

Saturday 3 September 2022

Love Is On The Cards

Love Is On The Cards

They say that love is a wonderful thing

That the pursuit of one’s life’s desire

Possesses all the thrill of the chase

And that passion can light one’s fire

 

But it’s never quite as simple as that

In real life it’s just not the same

And it’s rarely a case of conquest

More like a difficult card-game

 

It depends upon the cards you’ve been dealt

And how skilfully you play your hand

The odds are usually stacked against you

And chances run through your fingers like sand

 

This is exactly what happened to me

When I suffered love’s piercing dart

How I pursued the woman I loved

And I should say at the start

That she was no common tart

The lady who’d stolen every part

Of my loudly beating Heart

 

I felt that she was my Diamond

A girl I’d seen down at the pub

But here is the rub

Of the matter the nub

For in this social hub

I wasn’t even in the Club!

 

I met her in the arcade

In my finery all arrayed

I really fancied that jade

But my hope had started to fade

My suit wasn’t made

For several drinks I had paid

But when she spoke she bade

Me to get lost

Bury myself – take your own Spade!

 

I’d made a mess of the case

Hadn’t even reached first base!

I’d lost plenty of face

Before I’d started the race

I’d failed in the chase!

This was really not Ace

 

I’d tried her praises to sing

But she was soon on the wing

I wasn’t really her thing

No chance of her wearing my ring

I’d only wanted to be her King

 

Oh how foolish I’d been!

Of her heart I’d never be dean

It could clearly be seen

I knew what this would mean

She’d never be my Queen

 

Of love-making I hadn’t the knack

In the queue I was at the back

Of success there was a lack

My emotions on the rack

She’d given me the sack

My amour had started to crack

My mood had become black

Just another card in the pack

And I was left on my Jack

 

I’d worked quite hard

To play my court card

But in the game of love’s poker

I was now merely the Joker!

 

I’d taken the wrong route

I’d thought I was quite cute

(Though that point is quite moot)

But she’d given me the boot

In pleading my suit

 

The situation was crap

My heart had gone Snap

You could say it was quite Rummy

That my love-life was crummy

I was feeling a wreck

I was down on the deck

 

I never did Find The Lady

My lead had been bumped

I should never have jumped

I’d not even started, just been dumped

And in the end I hadn’t the answer –

I’d been Trumped!

 Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2022

No comments: