Search This Blog

Monday 7 May 2012

Sometimes Walking Is The Best Thing

Roundway Hill

Sitting at last, gathering breath,
From the long climb up the track,
Staring across the ancient landscape,
Allowed at last to look back.
Towards the village steeple,
Rising through late morning haze,
Shimmering in the distance,
Attracting my sun-guarded gaze. 

Calves and feet gently aching,
Boots well covered in fine dust,
Kicked up by my progress
Through the chalk’s crumbling crust.
Orchids peering shyly through long grass,
In this upland meadow where I wait,
Tiny, quick flashes of colour,
Right down the track to the gate. 

Butterflies in gaudy profusion
Flutter round, ignoring the heat,
And a fox flees into the wood,
Less than fifty yards from my seat.
At bottom, down in the cornfield,
Seeming like dots, are boxing hares,
Standing, running, darting and feinting,
Occupied with mating cares. 

Recovered, exhaling slowly,
Back on my feet, I continue the climb,
The steady tramp, tramp of the boots,
Marking out the rhythm of time.
Head gently clearing, eyes lifting,
Up to the summit of the hill,
Driving aching legs forward,
With my sheer force of  will. 

No thought for the tension and stress,
That can clutter my mind most days:
Exhaustion cleans it all out;
My soul calming in many ways.
Daily detoxification
Is to be found on this high ground,
And the beat of tired feet,
Works like a drug, leaving me sound.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2012

No comments: