Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 September 2019

Don't Get Me Started


Don’t Get Me Started

“Hell is other people” said my mate Jean-Paul Sartre,
When he felt his nose was put out of joint,
But it’s awful the way that some people behave,
So I think he might have had a point

For life is full of many other frustrations
Designed, it seems, to drive me completely nuts
To imbue a mounting sense of futility
And to constantly grind away in my guts

Take the case of spinach, for example
A substance green, with the texture of snot
It’s claimed to be an iron-rich vegetable
But a fan of it I’m definitely not

Just don’t get me started on things that drive me mad
So many things that are just plain bad
Like food served on rectangular house slates
Instead of on proper round plates
And if I’d wanted my chips served in a basket
Then I’d have bloomin’ well asked for it

Mowing the lawn, waking before dawn
Tuna sandwiches with sweetcorn
You’ll probably hear me loudly mutter
About the disgusting snack of crunchy peanut butter

Beard-and-sandal-wearing lefties make me feel pale
In their relentless pursuit of craft real ale
Don’t mention quinoa, or green kale

People from Devon & Cornwall leave me fit to burst
Debating whether it’s cream or jam first
Their arguments I’d really like to shatter
Cos after all – it really doesn’t matter!

Littering, spitting and not picking up dog-shit
Foul & abusive language, and that’s not nearly the end of it
For I can no longer keep dumb
Over the curse of discarded chewing-gum

People who abuse disabled parking bays and signs
People who can’t park between the white lines
People who drive with no lights in the dark
People with cars they don’t know how to park
Sales reps with flash cars as their perks
And people that own BMWs, Audis and Mercs
SUVs on the pavement, hazard-lights flashing
Whilst into the shops their just dashing
The arrogance, the privilege I’d like to stem
As if the rules don’t apply equally to them

Cruelty to animals, fox-hunting and hare-coursing
Money-laundering, people-trafficking and labour-forcing
Queue-pushers, cold-callers and online scams
Facial recognition, CCTV and web-cams
Call centres, endless menus, and being on hold
Repeating the same information that you’ve already told
Automated supermarket self-service checkouts
Lager louts & ticket touts
Overcooked sprouts
People who eat smelly food on the train
Who don’t wash and smell like a drain
Boiled onions with tripe
Religious fundamentalists of ANY stripe
And I’ll tell you who’s a particular menace –
People talking about golf, or ski-ing, or tennis!

Unattended children & babies that scream
Mewling infants that shatter your dreams
Folks that won’t play as part of the team
People offended by everything it seems
Pre-packaged food & airline meals
Individual sachets with impenetrable seals

To listen to other people’s dreams is so dull
But better than people who talk with their mouth full
Charlatans, career politicians and liars
Climate-change deniers
People who are constantly late
Who are totally inarticulate
Who start every utterance with “so…”
When it’s their turn to go
People so posh they can’t talk
And eat bananas with a knife and a fork

Shop assistants who ignore a long queue
Then talk to someone else when dealing with you
People who can’t hold their booze
Stag parties and hen do’s
And what drives me right up the pole
Are dogs that are out of control
Their owners amused by my fright
Saying “he doesn’t often bite”

If only everyone was as tolerant as me
Things wouldn’t be so bad, sadly
You see the problem’s not really me
It’s all the others behaving quite badly
So if you don’t want to be really down-hearted
It’s a good job that you didn’t get me started!


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: