Search This Blog

Saturday 7 September 2019

I Am The People


I Am The People

When I heard you on the door-step
Talking several years ago
And when I walked into the polling-both
To scrawl my precious cross
You thanked me for my vote
And said, for all the world to hear,
That “the people” had spoken
And I was glad that I had gained a voice

But when the politics had shifted
And the breeze had changed direction
You started saying something different
Things that I no longer wanted
And when I spoke up to object
You said, for all the world hear,
That “the people” had already spoken
And that I was simply wrong

When I supported your position
It seems I was “the people”
But when I say something different
Stand up for what I believe
You claim that I am misinformed
That I cannot ever change my mind
That “the people” cannot be denied
And that I no longer have a voice

So I ask this question once again
Who are “the people” now?
Just the ones who agree with what you do?
That keep you in your power?
Or is it really everyone?
Just those that have a vote
Or those that are yet to grow
And become “the people” of tomorrow?


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: