Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Health, Wealth & Happiness

I'm all in favour of making the best of yourself, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. There's just too many junkies, charlatans and snake-oil sellers out there trying to screw some money out of  unsuspecting punters, driven on by the desire for the quick fix.  I've also been on the receiving end of too many of these flaky ideas - it's too easy to be taken in.  Anyhow, here's a poem on t'subject.

Health, Wealth & Happiness (or how I was persuaded to seek health & youth, but gave it all up for booze & fags)

Now I’m the first to admit,
Although I’m certainly not wealthy,
I’d like to try & live as long as I can,
And that includes being healthy.

My other half – she looked hard at me,
And cast her critical eye.
“You need to get into shape” she said
And here are some ideas you can try.

She reeled off a number of therapies:
In fact she became quite verbal.
They were mostly New Age & Modern:
Some were Chinese and some were herbal.

I started on aroma therapy
Which created a wonderful smell.
But that just made me sleepy,
And off the treatment table I fell. 

So nursing some bumps & some bruises,
I went to see a chiropractor.
She caused me so much pain that I cried.
And I’m afraid that I then sacked her.

So seeking for calmer approaches,
I tried ayurvedic head massage.
It brought a smile to my lips,
And peace to my ugly visage.

Hypnotherapy, meditation & yoga,
And various types of new diet:
Wheat-free, dairy-free and Atkins -
If it was faddy, I just had to try it.

Reflexology, and ear candling,
And all sorts of new medication.
Then finally I built myself up to try
Transcendental meditation. 

This led to a new feeling of calmness:
My chakras were all in a line.
I started to feel so much better:
I fact I felt really quite fine. 

And this was all very well for a while,
But it merely calmed my mental state:
I needed something else for my body -
A new person I wanted to create.

So I started to become more ambitious:
It’s what you do at such a juncture. -
Manipulation, electro-therapy,
And finally some acupuncture. 

With needles all over my body,
My wellness began to increase.
If I could just push to the next stage -
Well – wonders might never cease.

I looked out for more treatments:
Anything health-like related.
Until finally I succumbed,
And had my colon irrigated.

It’s called hydro-therapy,
But there’s no need to sob -
It was all quite pleasant really,
And much easier than my later boob-job.

For I’d become addicted to nips and to tucks:
I didn’t need to be urged on.
I was even getting a discount
From my cosmetic surgeon.

But I suppose it’s the human condition,
To look for something more exotic,
When your diet gets increasingly boring,
And everything’s become pro-biotic.

Then finally the treatments stopped working:
What was once tight now only sags.
Anyway I’ve discovered a new diet –
It consists of chips, of beer and of fags.

So let this story become a warning to you:
Don’t think you can make yourself healthy.
Just stick with what you know,
And that way you might keep yourself wealthy.

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2012

No comments: