Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Job Application - Archbishop of Canterbury

Retirement is starting to pall on me, so I thought I'd better get off my bum & do something.  As Rowan Williams has announced that he's resigning his post as Archbishop of Canterbury, leader of all Anglicans world-wide, top banana in the C of E etc etc, I thought I'd get my job application in early.  Here it is in poetic form.

A Canterbury Tail

So the Very Reverend’s moving on,
He’s had enough – that’s very plain to see:
He’s handed in his resignation,
And created a welcome vacancy. 

The seat at Canterbury’s waiting,
The highest position, right at the top.
Soon they’ll advertising the post,
Looking for their newest Archbishop.

So I thought I’d better get in early,
And demonstrate that I’m capable.
Let’s run through the highlights of my CV,
And lay all of my cards on the table.

I could do all of the things that he did:
I’d be good at being an Anglican,
I could pontificate on world affairs,
Yes – I could be the church’s Ethics Man. 

I’d do well, as an Evangelical,
I could ride round in a bishop’s carriage,
I’d have a view, on everything new,
And pronounce on the subject of gay marriage. 

I’d be a beast, frocked as a priest,
I could lead the world-wide congregation.
I’d be a gent, at the sacraments,
Burial, marriage, and ordination.

I’d be a rock, supporting my flock,
Spreading the word with great gentleness,
And I’d gladly accept female vicars-
Well, I’d have to – since I’d be wearing a dress. 

I’d be a zealot, acting the prelate.
My archdiocese would be boisterous.
I’m dying to live in Westminster Palace,
A place that’s holy, and cloisterous. 

I’d preach sermons, mostly in German,
I’d make the world look much rosier,
And I’d be a fighter, wearing my mitre,
My alb, my robes and a crozier. 

I’d put handles on liturgical candles,
There’d be a new hymn-book and a psalter.
I’d be among the throng at Evensong,
As I walked up the nave to the altar. 

There’d be preaching and bible teaching,
Dawkins and Hitchins would soon see,
That I’d be a force to be reckoned with,
If I was to lead out the C of E. 

The sceptics would be dyspeptic,
My message would become caustic,
As I put to flight the disbeliever,
The atheist, and the agnostic. 

I’d be a leopard, if I was the shepherd,
Of the faithful, as they quietly prayed.
There’d be no consternation at my confirmation,
And the great organ merrily played.

I wouldn’t be nervous, at Morning Service.
Schism and heresy won’t be ignored
Go hell for leather, as we all say together,
“Andy for Archbishop – and Praise The Lord!”

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2012

No comments: