Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 July 2013

My God, But It's Hot!

My God But It’s Hot

The flags on the flagpoles hang limp
The air’s as dry as sandpaper
The Earth’s turning back into dust
And as the mercury climbs
All my energy’s shot
I’m sweating a lot
My God, but it’s hot!

The lawn has turned brown and yellow
And patches have died quite away
The veggies are wilted and small
The Test Match goes on uninterrupted
The heatwave goes on and on
Pleasant it’s not
In fact it’s quite grot
My God, but it’s hot!

Everyone’s stripping off & perspiring
We’re getting through gallons of sunscreen
But still our skin’s burning
The Sun’s a bright disc in the sky
Almost like a red dot
I’m sure it’s a dark plot
My God, but it’s hot!

The temperature is just “Scorchio”
In French it’s “tres chaud”
In German “sehr heiss”
It could be in Fahrenheit
It might be in Centrigade
The thermometer’s shot
I don’t know what’s what
My God, but it’s hot!

The forecast holds no relief
And reservoirs are wasting away
There’ll soon be an end to sprinklers
And a ban on the use of hosepipes
Then the ground will turn to powder
And whatever we’ve got
Even fresh  food will rot
My God, but it’s hot!

The fans toil away regardless
But there’s no cooling relief
Yet this is only a Summer
It’s the thing that we wanted
The Winter will be back soon enough
I care not a jot
For that is our lot
My God, but it’s hot!


 Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2013

No comments: