Search This Blog

Friday 16 May 2014

Breaking In

Breaking In

I parked down by the Castle last week,
A fantastic spot in a little side-street:
Very handy for the shops and the stores,
A location quite difficult to beat.

But as I returned from doing my shopping,
I was in for a terrible shock:
When I tried to get into the car,
I found my keys wouldn’t open the lock.

It looked like I’d have to break in,
An action which could only perturb,
So I got myself into a helluva panic,
As I stood there, helpless, at the side of the kerb.

Then I noticed something that might be of some help,
When I looked into my car at the back –
I’d luckily left open the rear window -
It wasn’t much – it was only a slight crack.

If I could only get my hand inside,
And reach over the top of the glass,
I’d be able to pull up the door handle,
And inside the car be able to pass.

It was a good scheme, tho’ I say so myself,
I just hoped my arm was sufficiently thin,
It would save making a pile of smashed glass:
With a bit of luck, I’d soon be within.

I huffed and I puffed to get my arm in,
Tho’ my technique was terribly poor.
Eventually I pulled on the catch,
And, finally, I opened the door!

What relief! And how happy I was,
As I flopped onto the back seat!
I just had to climb into the front now,
Then I’d have the problem totally beat.

But that was easier said than done,
And it certainly couldn’t be done quick:
I got myself tangled up in the seat-belt,
And it’s painful to sit on a gearstick!

Then at last, I was where I should be.
In triumph I sat behind the wheel,
Getting ready to drive back to my home -
You can imagine how it would feel.

 Then I noticed something untoward:
There were some gloves on the passenger seat,
And some de-icer in the door-pocket -
How they’d got there had me totally beat.

The air-freshener was different,
And there was a road atlas in the rear,
But I never carried such an old thing,
And that’s when, suddenly, I felt queer.

I should have realised that I’d cocked up,
I should have known it was all wrong,
For this wasn’t my vehicle you see –
Mine was parked three cars further along!


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2014

No comments: