Search This Blog

Saturday 24 May 2014

Safari So Good

Safari, So Gooda poem un-inspired by a visit to Longleat in the rain

It might be a strange thing to want to do,
But I had a craving to go to the park,
Not to that flat thing at the end of the road,
But to see the creatures saved from the Ark.

I wanted to see animals all exotic,
From Asia and Africa and such.
(I know that I’m living in Wiltshire,
But surely, it’s not asking too much?)

So we drove off down to Longleat,
And followed the signs right up the path,
Where they’ve got all sorts of creatures,
Including the latest Marquess of Bath.

Now I know it probably costs a few bob,
To build a few enclosures and cages,
But I didn’t think it’d cost me so much:
To get in was at least a week’s wages!

And we should have picked better weather,
Cause the day was all cloudy and wet,
And I think it were on a cold Monday,
The most miserable day you could get.

The animals were getting over their week-end,
Sunday must have been better, I’ve no doubt,
So they were all sleeping it off,
And none of them wanted to come out.

We couldn’t choose, to go on a Jungle Cruise,
For the boats were all moored up that day.
We had a short phase, lost in the Monkey Maze,
But even the meerkats slept – what can I say?

We repaired to the Capybara Café,
But they didn’t have anything we’d want,
Nor did we stay, in the Hippo Hideaway,
And ended up in the Rhino Restaurant.

My Safari Burger had made me feel bad,
So I had no wish to go on the Funfair,
What I needed were the great open spaces,
The Africa Drive-Thru and get some fresh air.

This’ll be good, we thought as we drove,
We’ll see the wide open Savannah at least,
With buffaloes, giraffes and some zebra,
And great herds of wildebeest.
  
Alas the experience was somewhat different,
Past warning notices and thence,
Two sets of gates and piles of barbed wire,
Warders in Jeeps, and a security fence.

Security cameras watched our every move
To ensure that we weren’t in any danger,
You weren’t allowed out of the car,
And we were watched every few yards by a ranger.

It was a bit like being in Parkhurst,
Not that I’ve been there, you know,
Except there was nothing for the captives to do,
Not even some mail-bags to sew.

The lions were bored and sat under the trees,
Like listless teen-agers kicking their heels;
Eyeing all the tasty-looking people in cars:
To them we must’ve looked like Meals on Wheels.

Then out of the final enclosure,
The short line of cars and vans waggled,
A quick trip to the Tiger Toilets,
And then homeward, weary and bedraggled.

So if you’re looking for a wildlife experience,
Whilst you’re dreaming, or lying in bed,
Take a word of advice from someone who knows,
Save up, and go to Africa instead.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2014

No comments: