Search This Blog

Friday 7 November 2014

That Sinking Feeling

That Sinking Feeling (the desperation to not miss the sailing & find my ticket)

What a fine April morning to travel:
At last I’m my own master,
But the thing that’s worrying me
Is, can’t this train go any faster?

I’m already hungry & thirsty,
But those problems must wait.
If we don’t get there pretty smartish,
I’m afraid I’m going to be late.

For that steamer sure won’t delay,
If I don’t get there in time.
She’ll be departing in two hours,
Sailing across the Atlantic rime.

All that I possess is in this suitcase,
For I’m alone now, with no wife,
To try my luck in America,
And to try to start a new life.

For there’s nothing for me here now,
England’s become nowt but a cage.
There’s no work & no social,
And no way to make a living wage.

So I’ve decided to strike out for the new:
Got to do something to lick it,
And I’ve saved and I’ve borrowed,
Just to afford my third-class ticket.

At last – here we are at Southampton,
As the train shudders & rocks.
I hope it’s not far I’ve got to go,
To find my ship moored up in the docks.

It’s been a long journey, my case is so heavy,
I don’t want to be walking around,
But there’s bands playing and a great crowd -
After all, my ship is easily found.

She’s just over there, not far to walk.
There’s three different gang-planks,
Going right up into the ship:
A different one for every rank.

But what’s this? My ticket is lost!
I’ve searched myself all around,
In my jacket & coat pockets,
But the thing is nowhere to be found!

I can’t come all of this way,
Only to fail at the last minute.
Oh, where’s that blasted ticket
Where had I last seen it?

Then, Thank God, the panic is over -
I needn’t have been in a stew.
I had it all along I was sure,
I’d tucked it into my shoe!
  
So finally up the gangplank:
I’m only travelling steerage.
I’d love to go into First Class,
But that would require a peerage!

The ship is crowded & busy.
My below-decks cabin is cramped.
So I’ve stowed my gear quickly
And up the staircases I’ve tramped.

Then onto the deck & join in the cheering.
I need not have been in such a panic.
There’s even time to gaze down at the nameplate.

My new life starts here – on the SS Titanic!

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2014

No comments: