Search This Blog

Saturday 26 September 2015

One Way Ticket To Mars

One-Way Ticket (to Mars)

I was looking for a new challenge, something to banish senility’s fears,
When I spotted the advertisement, a way to spend my retirement years.

It said they were looking for astronauts, to head on out into deep space,
So I signed myself up for the training, and entered into the space race.

They had a great vision for mankind: to journey towards the stars.
We’d be taking off from the Earth - it was a mission to colonise Mars!

Yes, we were setting off for the Red Planet, to establish a colony, or a base-camp,
Like the pioneers in the days of old, I felt like Columbus as I mounted the ramp.

The blast-off was truly spectacular, as our rocket rose towards the night sky,
And Mission Control raised a big cheer, as they sadly waved us good-bye.

Then we pulled out of Earth’s gravity and, as we carefully avoided The Moon,
It hadn’t yet even occurred to me that I’d become a hostage to fortune.

You see, when a man settles down for a while, and there’s no alcohol on board, no drinking,
His thoughts turn to existential matters, and that’s when I got round to some thinking.

If we’ve dropped all of our boosters, and we’re voyaging in this tin can,
How are we going to get back from Mars? Won’t we be stuck there, to a man?

I voiced my concerns to the captain, and mentioned it to the rest of the crew,
But they all just fell about in their laughter, and said that they thought that I knew!

It turns out that this is a one-way journey!  I’ve been issued with a single ticket!
There’s no possible way to return: well, I mean, that’s simply not cricket!

I knew that it would take a long time, if mankind was to make a great mark,
But I didn’t realise how final it was, that day when I’d turned up to embark.

We’re to be the first of our species to land on Mars – that’s our true fate,
And if we survive our arrival, our next job will be to pro-create!

Now I’ve had a look round at the rest of the crew, and there’s none I’d want go out with on a date,
So it could be a long, lonely existence if I’m the only one not taking a mate.

There’s one girl who’s been looking at me, and paying me lots of attention,
I think I know what’s on her agenda, I think I can spot her intention!

So here I am, trapped in this spaceship, with only the Sun’s gravity to tow it,
Heading off to a fate worse than death – it’s space, Jim, but not as we know it.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2015

No comments: