Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 February 2016

The Flip Side - A Poem For Pancake Day

The Flip Side

What did I ever do to you, that you should batter me this way?
You’ve got me all stirred and mixed up – is there something special about the day?
You started by egging me on with your sweet, floury words,
You milked it for all it was worth - well, save it for the birds!

You really bowled me over, but I took it with a pinch of salt,
So you just let me stand around - I’m sure it wasn’t my fault!
Then things started getting heated, you charmed me as if butter
Wouldn’t melt in your mouth - I thought you must be some sort of nutter.

You pushed me across the work-top, and I wondered what was my fate?
Out of the fire, into the frying pan - what a desperate state!
You tipped me right over the edge, I felt completely beaten,
Getting me all hot and bothered, I felt so flat that with rage I was eaten.

You attacked me with that spatula, and soon I became set in my ways,
Underneath, I became quite browned off - the atmosphere was a haze.
You just threw me up in the air, tossed like any play-thing,
But when I came down so suddenly, I nearly hit the ceiling!

By now, I’d completely flipped and I landed back in the same place.
You just carried on regardless, as if you couldn’t lose face.
I felt as if I was now ready, and I thought I was going to crack,
But you just pushed me to one side, and said I’d have to wait in the stack.

You said you had other things cooking - you started to mutter and chirrup,
Then you came over all sugary, giving me the usual syrup.
Then you couldn’t get enough of me, your appetite I just couldn’t sate.
You said that you really loved me, but that you had an awful lot on your plate.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2016

No comments: