Search This Blog

Monday 18 December 2017

A Crash In The Woods

A Crash In The Woods

Sometime late, deep in the middle of the night,
Something woke me from slumber’s deep delight:
A whoosh, a wallop, a screech and a big loud bang,
Thunder and lightning, and an almighty clang,
Then a pause, silence, almost nothing at all,
Followed by an explosion, a boom, a fireball -
It sounded like the crash of an airplane,
Crack, then all quiet, then crack all over again.

I ran to the window, and looked into the dark -
It was cold, and starlit, and all of that lark.
It was hard to make out, I couldn’t see all that good,
But it seemed as if something had come down in the wood,
Something was burning, a great tower of flame -
I needed to get out there, this wasn’t no game,
So I pulled on my clothes, and made for the scene -
It was an emergency, you know what I mean?

The site of the accident was pretty easy to find,
A scene of destruction of every possible kind.
It was hard to know where I should start,
But in the midst was what remained of a cart,
Blown to bits, scattered every which way,
What could only be described as the remains of a sleigh,
With smoking and burning bits of debris -
A helluva smash had occurred, it was easy to see.

The bloke that had been driving was stuck up a tree,
And from his red & white outfit he struggled to get free,
So I helped to get him down, along with his sack.
His face and beard were all burnt nearly black,
He smouldered and sizzled, he was in a right state
Berating his rotten luck and cursing his fate,
His looks and his temper were really not sweet,
And his language was far too foul to repeat.

There was fear and panic written all over his face,
And barbecued reindeer running all over the place,
There were parcels and packages spread all about,
And small green elves, crying, and starting to shout -
A small-scale disaster so deep in the woods,
Meant that Santa would fail to deliver his goods,
So I asked if there was anything I could possibly do,
To which Santa replied “I think I’m buggered, don’t you?”

I thought he was worried about the waiting girls and boys,
If he didn’t turn up at their houses to deliver their toys,
But he said that was the least of his worries,
It was bound to happen to a chap that always hurries.
He’d be in big trouble with the delivery firm -
They’d be sure to bring his contract to term:
To his sacking this situation was obviously leading,
And the police’d figure out he’d been speeding.
  
“It’s this zero-hours contract that’s to blame:
Too many deliveries to make – it’s a loser’s game!
I’ve got to do every blessed thing, all in one day,
And all they give me is eight-reindeer-power sleigh!
It’s relentless, and there’s no breaks for meals!
It’s simply awful – you’ve no idea how it feels!
Now they’re gonna catch me all bang to rights,
I just knew it would happen one of these Christmas nights!”

I felt sorry for him – he was pitiful and very forlorn,
And I couldn’t do much to help him, but I was torn -
He was a victim of our modern capitalist culture,
Working for a firm that was an asset-stripping vulture,
So I helped him round up the reindeer and the elves,
Told them to grab what they wanted, just help themselves,
Then I took him back to my place that was close by,
And gave him a sherry and a mince pie.

Now I’m not relating all this just for some fun,
But don’t worry – my tale’s almost over and done,
There’s a happy ending to this miserable verse!
You know – things could have been much worse –
They cleared up the crash, and Santa’s out on probation.
He took it easy for a while, then had a vacation,
Got himself sorted out and jumped back on the horse,
And now he’s a delivery driver for ParcelForce!


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2017

No comments: