Search This Blog

Saturday 5 January 2019

Angry


Angry

It’s not disappointment, nor confusion, nor frustration
those feelings you seem to think I’m having
because your training tells you I’ll be shocked, surprised and overwhelmed
by information overload, unable to take it all in, as though it’s far too much -
but that’s not it at all…

No - I fully understand, I’m simply focused on your voice,
the reassuring practiced tone of directness - no beating about the bush,
no use of euphemisms, just the bare and brutal truth
of your honesty, coming straight to the point
leaving no space for any doubt…

But - after that - it’s very different:
a sudden narrowing darkness on the periphery of vision,
a caving-in of walls, a falling, breaking sky
and a hard shattering of light, brilliant glittering crystals
and cracking blood-red beads, shimmering sparkles cascading to the floor
where they settle, puddling in pools around my feet…

And then deathly quietness, an emptying-out of sound
except for the hollowness, the echoing noise that is the droning of your voice
still outlining clinical options and decisions,
oblivious to the shit-storm that’s hitting me,
quivering and shaking, a rising gorge, a boiling up of anger,
a roiling, towering rage, cowering under the enormity
of the scale of this miserable betrayal, the depth of disappointment
that my own body should dare to let me down
and fail to go the distance

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: