Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 October 2019

Moving Day


Moving Day

Men come marching down the path,
Clear intent upon their faces.
They don’t give me a passing glance,
As one by one they shift the packing cases.
Mum and Dad don’t seem to mind,
And make no move to halt the flow.
I can’t bear to see them take our things,
And wonder where we’re all supposed to go.

Are we being thrown out upon the street?
And do the neighbours think it’s so?
Or is there more to this than meets the eye,
Another reason that we must go?
Mum says they’ve found another house,
Not far from here, and already signed,
But I don’t want to go from here,
Nor leave my play-mates far behind.

She says it will be better there,
A bigger garden, more room to play,
I’ll make new friends along The Avenue,
And soon forget those down our alley-way.
Young boys need space to breathe,
And says all this to calm my fears.
She smiles at my confusion,
And wipes away my floods of tears.

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2019

No comments: