Search This Blog

Saturday 21 March 2020

Hail To The Experts


Hail To The Experts

The Internet’s bulging with information
On Coronavirus, called also Covid-19
The data’s overwhelming it seems
It’s filling up most of my screen

There’s statistics and predictions,
Projections on the spread of disease
It’s easy to access by Googling
Advice designed to put you at ease

Lots of stuff about washing your hands
Which will help us all very much:
Voluntary self-isolation,
Social distancing tactics and such

But I’ve decided not to bother
With such a comprehensive source
It’s an awful lot of detailed reading
When I could go to the mouth of the horse

Turns out my next-door neighbour Sheila
Is an expert virologist – who knew?
She tells me everything I need to know
And is quite clear what it is I should do

And my mate Dave, who’s lives down at the pub
Is an epidemiologist in his spare time
He’s got plenty to say on the subject
Not listening to him would be a crime

Then there’s Dick the keyboard warrior
Who can prove that the whole thing’s quite deep
A conspiracy by dark secret forces
To brainwash us mere compliant sheep

Not forgetting Mary at the local shop
Who assures me it’s all due to lack of faith
If only we’d pay more attention to Jesus
And heed everything that he saith

There’s Terry’s the local expert politician
And he’s quite clear who’s to blame
It’s letting all these immigrants in
Closing our borders should be the game

So there’s no need to burden myself with the facts
No need to get confused by the Government
I’m surrounded by these bloody experts
And I’m sure they’re all very well meant

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: