Search This Blog

Monday 23 March 2020

Self-Isolation


Self-Isolation

We’ve all been told to stay at home
Self-isolate whilst this Covid-19 thing rages
And not just for a mere fourteen days
But for absolutely bloody ages!

Don’t go out and spread the disease!
Don’t panic, or over-stock yourselves!
There’s no need to buy so many toilet rolls!
You don’t need to empty all of the shelves!

But what to do with all those empty hours?
How to pass the time when I’m all by myself?
Maybe a chance to complete those unfinished jobs
Like finally putting up that bathroom shelf?

I’ve cleaned the house from top to bottom
And I’ve re-decorated three rooms already this week
I’ve done all the washing and all of the ironing
And I’ve not nearly got near to my peak!

My CDs are now alphabetically arranged
And I’ve been through all of my DVDs
This constant round of activity
Will surely bring me down to my knees

Already I’m feeling totally knackered
Dashing around the house is making me dizzy
But I’m staving off the worst of the boredom
By keeping myself so thoroughly busy

I’ve eaten almost everything in the fridge
And the freezer’s looking increasingly bare
I may have to venture to the supermarket later
That’s if I can summon the nerve to dare

Meanwhile I’m making meals from what I can find
Things from all around the house
Tonight it’s going to be made from scouring pads,
Some shoe polish, and a tiny dead mouse

The garden’s looking immaculate
Better than it has done for many a year
It’s my only chance to get in the outdoors
My only real exercise I fear

I’ve read all my books and magazines
For anything new I’d almost grovel
But on a more positive note -
I’ve nearly finished my second novel
  
There’s no more live sport on the telly
So everything’s closed to my view
And the BBC’s stopped filming Eastenders -
Well, at least that’s one piece of good news!

Of course I’ve started talking to myself
It creeps up on you, alone day after day
But the worst thing about it all
Is that I’ve run out of new things to say

My hair has grown long and quite straggling
And my beard is now several inches long
Should I be bothered to shower each day?
Would that really be terribly wrong?

And there’s a new thing to worry about -
What if someone comes to the door?
Will I have to pretend not to be in?
Will I have to hide by lying on the floor?

Do-gooders can be awfully persistent
That’s just one of my several gripes
What do I have to do to keep them away?
Pick up the ukulele, the banjo or bagpipes?

There’s a few of us thinking of getting together
But the idea’s not just for a social meet
We’re forming a raiding party just in case
An Ocado van ventures into our street

How long before the drugs and the beer run out?
How long am I expected to last?
When will all of this be finally over?
When will the epidemic have passed?

Dear Lord, give me strength to hang on to my sanity
Let me live to see how the virus news trends
I just want to still be around to witness
When the DFS sale finally ends.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: