Search This Blog

Monday 14 September 2020

My God But It's Hot

 My God But It’s Hot

The flags on the flagpoles hang limp

The air’s as dry as sandpaper

The Earth’s turning back into dust

And as the mercury climbs

All my energy’s shot

I’m sweating a lot

My God, but it’s hot!

 

The lawn has turned brown and yellow

And patches have died quite away

The veggies are wilted and small

The Test Match goes on uninterrupted

The heatwave goes on and on

Pleasant it’s not

In fact it’s quite grot

My God, but it’s hot!

 

Everyone’s stripping off & perspiring

We’re getting through gallons of sunscreen

But still our skin’s burning

The Sun’s a bright disc in the sky

Almost like a red dot

I’m sure it’s a dark plot

My God, but it’s hot!

 

The temperature is just “Scorchio”

In French it’s “tres chaud”

In German “sehr heiss”

It could be in Fahrenheit

It might be in Centrigade

The thermometer’s shot

I don’t know what’s what

My God, but it’s hot!

 

The forecast holds no relief

And reservoirs are wasting away

There’ll soon be an end to sprinklers

And a ban on the use of hosepipes

Then the ground will turn to powder

And whatever we’ve got

Even fresh  food will rot

My God, but it’s hot!

 

The fans toil away regardless

But there’s no cooling relief

Yet this is only a Summer

It’s the thing that we wanted

The Winter will be back soon enough

I care not a jot

For that is our lot

My God, but it’s hot!


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: