Search This Blog

Monday 15 February 2021

Loyalty

Loyalty

When approaching the checkout at Morrisons

There’s an anxiety that grips me

It’s not, I confess, whether I have “Five items or less”

Nor the grammatical skewer

To know whether it should be “Five items or fewer”

 

No, it’s deeper form of worry, that causes the sudden flurry

Of bone-chilling angst and anxiety

You see shopping in Waitrose

Doesn’t get up your nose

That’s how it goes

And, if I may be so bold,

That’s what you’re told, so you’re exit is usually bold

When you’re Never Knowingly Undersold

 

And at Asda and Aldi’s there’s no fiddle

Nor attempt to diddle, when you’re shopping at Lidl

Even Sainsbury’s no riddle

But back here at the Morrison’s conveyor

I’m stopped from being much gayer

I’m a dithering, nervous payer

With my Match N’ More loyalty card

My enjoyment is marred

I’m quite on my guard, the calculation’s too hard

I feel uncertainty in my joints

Perspiration my face anoints, as I calculate my points

Hoping the till will correctly count

Special offers, as the totals gradually mount

Towards my overall discount

 

I need my bargains - I’m no toff

I’m forced to a cough, if I don’t get my BOGOF

When I pay my bill, waiting there at the till

It’s not my intention

To cause the queue a detention

But I just thought that I’d mention

This disquiet, this tension

That it might have been cheaper at Tesco

Perhaps I should change, switch where I go

For as any fool know

Every Little Helps

 

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2021

No comments: