Search This Blog

Monday 19 December 2022

Not Lonely This Christmas

Not Lonely This Christmas

The pine’s propped up in the corner

But not for me the lure of the tree

Festooned in baubles and tinsel

Sheltering its stash of carefully-wrapped presents

And shedding its needles for everyone to see

 

Nor the cupboard-full of mince-pies and stollen

For I’ve frequently had doubts

About the cranberry sauce and the oversize turkey

The stuffing and pigs in their blankets

And the leftover roasties and sprouts

 

I’ve turned down the invitations to parties

I’ve not sent Christmas cards either

For this annual budget-busting mentality

Is not something I feel I can cope with

Or want to have to endure neither

 

Santas, elves and their reindeer

Are of any religious purpose totally devoid

The crackers and paper hats leave me quite cold

And the festive specials on the telly

Are things I try hard to avoid

 

I’ve finally escaped the annual torture

Of listening to relatives as they moan

About the cost of everything these days

And struck out on my singular path

To spend a quiet day on my own

 

What’s it all got to do with anything anymore?

When did the Feast of Stephen turn into Boxing Day?

And apart from the shops being closed

And no useful services running

Isn’t it just the same as any other day?

 Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2022

No comments: