Search This Blog

Saturday 18 February 2012

Apple Core (Beatles For Sale)

Apple Core (Apple Corp?)

It’s no secret that I was born in the Fifties,
And I grew up with the beginnings of pop.
We listened to singles and LPs,
And we used to dance till we’d drop. 

Top Of The Pops was on weekly:
To miss it just wasn’t on.
The music charts were something we’d watch,
To see who’d make Number One. 

In the Sixties the music became groovy & fab,
And the record industry went really mad.
We spent all our money in shops to buy records,
Forty-fives and albums was all that they had. 

Then, as we got older, it all started to change:
Cassettes became all the rage – what a pain!
But by then we’d lost all our vinyl,
So we had to replace it again.

So we re-bought all our favourites on CD,
And thought that we’d done very well,
But then came digital downloads -
When will we be released from this formatting hell? 

But now there’s a new craziness abroad,
That’s going to suit all of the loons,
Cos I hear they’ve signed an agreement,
To let us get Beatles from bloody i-Tunes.
 
Now I’ve always been a fan of the mop-tops,
Or, as they were known then, the Fab Four,
But I’m buggered if I’m happy
About this cleverness by Apple Corp. 

I can now get Lady Madonna,
Or Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts’ Club Band,
In MP3 digital format,
If I put yet more money into their hand.

Beatles For Sale”, I hear them cry,
“We’ve provided the full pack”.
I may be a Nowhere Man as I Drive My Car,
But, Hey Jude, you can just Get Back!’ 

It’s been a Magical Mystery Tour,
And a very Long & Winding Road,
Just for me to get I Am The Walrus,
As a new digital download.

For this Revolution has taken some time,
And I’m sure the Taxman nearly cried,
When he found out that we punters,
Have bought another Ticket to Ride.

When Michelle was my girlfriend,
We had a Good Day, Sunshine,
But then I found that She’s Leaving,
And no longer do I Feel Fine. 

She said “You Can’t Buy Me, Love”,
And “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away”,
But now she’s Back In The USSR,
And I’m living in Blue Jay Way.

Now I’m Here, There & Everywhere,
And loneliness into my heart creeps.
I’m just working Eight Days A Week,
While My Guitar Gently Weeps. 

In My Life I’ve loved all of these tracks,
And for the Things We Said Today,
They’ll surely Please Please Me,
As I think back to Yesterday. 

With A Little Help From My Friends,
I’ll walk again down Penny Lane,
But “You Never Give Me Your Money
Really can’t be Apple’s refrain. 

For you know that When I’m Sixty-Four
We’ll all Come Together you’ll see
And Something, Across The Universe,
Will Help us all to Let It Be. 

They say that All You Need Is Love:
I’m sure I can hear you sigh,
But if you don’t all Love Me Do,
Then I’m afraid it’s Hello, Goodbye. 

Well, it’s been A Hard Day’s Night,
For all of you out there listening still.
It’s up Abbey Road that you’ll find me –
You know me – The Fool On The Hill.

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2011

No comments: