Search This Blog

Monday 6 August 2012

A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Not Fade Away - celebrating 50 years of the Rolling Stones in performance

So Mick and The Boys have come out again,
Though they’re hardly in their prime.
I wonder if they’ll start up the band -
Let’s face it – This Could Be The Last Time. 

From their Gimme Shelter’ed-housing,
The Glimmer Twins are back in the action,
For one more trip round the rock circuit,
To see if they can get some Satisfaction. 

As Wood, Watts and Richards knock out the riffs,
And Jagger again sticks out his big lips,
I hope he’s alright on the high stages,
Strutting around on his dodgy hips. 

But I’ll have Sympathy For The Devil,
As those old chords thunder and crash,
And come roaring out for one more time,
And we all gasp at his Jumping Jack Flash. 

Don’t Start Me Up on all of the stories:
Wild Horses couldn’t force me to go back.
I have to tell it the way that I see it,
And tell you the truth – yes, to Paint It Black. 

They burned through all the drink and the drugs,
Bad behaviour and - what can I say? -
The arrests, and those famous groupies,
Bianca, Angie and Ruby Tuesday. 

‘Cos You Can’t Always Get What You Want,
Sometimes your heroes are driven by greed,
Although we’ll sadly miss their Brown Sugar,
It’s time to Not Fade Away, but Let It Bleed. 

I know – I should Get Off Of My Cloud -
Of the Stones’ music I was always a fan,
But surely these guys are now past it?
And Wyman’s no Street Fighting Man. 

It’s no use just having Love In Vain:
The Midnight Rambler is Under My Thumb.
They’re no longer Little Red Roosters,
But still living at home with their mums. 

So Let’s Spend The Night Together,
And watch their best times on DVD.
We don’t want them back on a stage again,
So far off that we can’t even see. 

So, come on boys – stay in retirement,
And let that be your geriatric goal.
I guess that we’re going to Miss You,
But after all – It’s Only Rock And Roll.


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2012

No comments: