Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Disappointing Landmark

I went to see Hadrian's Wall, after many years of managing to never see it.  I think it was the trip to the Great Wall of China last year that prompted me to go and visit the heritage in my own back yard.  After driving for a couple of hours, we got to Housesteads Fort. I found it hard to disguise my disappointment. I'd expected to see the remnants of a substantial wall, but what's actually there suggests it was something much more modest.

Hadrian’s Wall
At last I could make it out
A narrow walkway
Rising from the grasping earth
Loose and crumbled stones
Tumbled from once good order
And straight alignment
Fallen randomly
Into the coarsest tussocks
Of grass and mossy ground 

Out here on the windswept moor
Miles from civilisation
Amongst ice and bitter cold
Lie lichen-covered blocks
In faint traceable patterns
Which snake and wind their way
Across the forbidding landscape 

Here long-abandoned evidence
Of ramparts, towers, turrets
Interrupts the regular line
And there a garrison fortress
Provided basic shelter
And some rough respite
Against adverse weather
And painted barbarians
Invading from the North 

But is this all there was?
So little sign these days
Of any forbidding Roman structure
But the merest thin grey line
Of no great height
Weaving through the frozen land
To be defended at all costs
By the toughest Legionnaires
At the very end of Empire


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2012

No comments: