Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 November 2012

I Think It's My Age

Turning Into My Own Father

It’s no use, I can see it now
The mirror does not lie
I find myself looking at a man
That is me, yet is not me
And who looks vaguely familiar
And, although I cannot place him
I’m sure he is not a stranger 

The fullness of his face
The receding hairline
Ebbs back from his face
In that same pattern
That I’ve seen in photographs
The sepia tones
Of many generations
That went before me 

The darkness of hooded eyes
Looking back towards me
As if posing unanswerable questions
His fuller, uneven lips
His thickening jowls
His jaw-line set heavy
And the slackness of muscles
Draws deeper, longer lines
Within his sagging skin
And tells a story of its own 

He returns my stare unblinking
His face implacable and calm
But tired, deadly tired
As if this will be the last time
That he will stand so still
And allow himself to be inspected
His features picked over
In the ghastly bathroom light 

And at last I am forced to look away
Unable to hold his gaze any longer
And to make the excuse
That I am too busy
To spend more time
On this sad reflection
And I am left to wonder
If his eyes continue to follow me
Around the room
Long after I have stepped aside


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2012

No comments: