Search This Blog

Friday 8 November 2013

It's My Party...

It’s My Party…

It’s not seemly to be selfish
To keep it to oneself
Hiding it from others
To be so possessive
And to not share
But this different
In this case it’s mine, not yours
And clearly belongs only to me
It’s personal and private
This thing that’s growing inside
It’s for me to suffer and endure
To conduct my own campaign
Of warfare against its existence
And to battle bravely against what ails me

I appreciate your interest
Your sympathy, your empathy
And all the feelings you have
For my sorry situation
How you want to take over
To make me feel better
To nurse me back to health
To smother me with love
Overwhelm me with information
And the brave tales of others
Who have battled and won
But you can’t fight by proxy
You’re stepping on my toes
Encroaching onto my patch
Muscling in on my action
Pushing me out of the picture
And invading my territory

Can’t you see?
I went to a lot of trouble
Spent a lot of my lifetime
To catch this bloody disease
And develop this condition
To grow these mutant cells
That creep and threaten to spread
Over the rest of my innards
It was me that gave birth to this monster
It’s my baby so let me look after it
Nurture it and watch it grow
Till it’s fully formed and large enough
That I can finally stick the knife in
Cut it right away
And kill the damned cuckoo

Don’t deny me this one thing
It’s what keeps me going
It’s one of the few pleasures I’m going to get


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2013

No comments: