Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 October 2014

Country LIfe

Country Life

I’ve been a City boy for all of my life,
But of the town I’d had my fill,
So I was persuaded down into Wiltshire,
To share in the rural idyll.
That’s what I dreamt when I got here,
As we moved in next to a farm,
With green fields and village nearby,
I savoured the countryside charm.

I’m told the country is only two things:
That’s fornication and farming,
But there’s not much farming in winter -
Which is a thought that’s alarming.
But there are many great things to enjoy:
We’ve moved from houses like boxes.
Now there’s badgers and hedgehogs,
And buzzards, kestrels and foxes.

You don’t get such fresh air in town,
The green fields and the walking.
The peace and the quiet are amazing,
And canals – now you’re talking.
So I’ve decided it’s not too bad in the end:
And I don’t want to sound stricken,
So I’ll have to get along now -
It’s time I was milking the chickens.


 Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2014

No comments: