Search This Blog

Friday 11 August 2017

The Lawn Ranger

The Lawn Ranger

I know how everyone looks forward to Summer,
The sun rising in the early day’s dawn,
But they’re probably not gardeners like me,
Locked in a life-or-death struggle… with a lawn.

Visitors come round and admire the garden,
How well it’s looking, all lush and so green,
But they’ve no idea what goes into it,
The behind-the-scenes battle unseen.

It starts off quite gentle in the Spring,
With a light cut, just to show it who’s boss,
But this just encourages fresh growth,
Of dandelions, and daisies, and moss.

So then there’s a bit of raking and forking,
With a bit of added fertiliser and filler,
Some judicious tactical weeding,
And the application of some weed-killer.

But then the days lengthen and grow warm,
And the greenery just puts on a spurt,
So I have to cut it harder and more often,
And the effort involved starts to hurt.

I get out my mowers in the morning,
And carefully mow for most of a day,
And when it’s finished it looks really lovely,
As pretty as a picture I’d say.

That lasts for twenty-four hours at most,
A couple of days if I’m really lucky,
But then it starts bloody growing again,
And I’ve to go out and get mucky.

Each time I do a brilliant job,
With my sit-own mower across the expanse,
A carefully-tended large acreage,
That leads me a merry dance.

Soon it’s the same day after day,
At my puny effort the garden mocks:
The endless trips to the compost-heap,
As the cuttings pile up in the box.

But I come inside and admire my efforts,
Regard the beautiful stripes of the sward:
It looks near enough like a billiard-table,
Good enough to deserve an award!
  
But a day or two later and all is undone!
It’s as if I’d never cut it – a real mess -
A complete waste of nugatory effort,
So I get to swearing a lot I confess.

And so it goes on all of the Summer:
I cut it and mow it, and tend it, and then,
Just when I think I’ve beaten the bugger,
It grows and needs doing all over again!

There’s the odd day when I can’t mow,
And that’s when it’s pouring with rain,
But the moisture’s just what the lawn needs,
So all my effort goes down the drain.

I think it’s a form of gardener’s punishment -
There’s no glory in which I can bask.
It’s eating away at my very soul,
It’s a never-ending thankless task.

There’s only one thing to look forward to,
That’s when Winter at last comes to pass,
I can put the mowers away and relax,
But I still have nightmares… about grass!


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2017

No comments: