Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Only Child


Only Child

What was it about me
That I should be treated this way?
That you should leave me all alone,
Single, singular and lonely?
Was it my monopoly upon your time,
All your sharing, your caring, your affection
For your one and only treasure?

What was it about me
That made you give up after only one?
Was I quite enough for you
So wonderful, so endearing
That I filled all your time
Took all your attention
So there could be no room for any another
And a second could never be as good?

What was it about me
That made you say “never again”?
Was I too much for you
That you could not bear to go through it all twice?
Was I just too much to cope with
My behaviour not good enough
A great disappointment
Or just not what you wanted?

What was it about me
That was the fault in my creation?
Was it the love or the sex when you made me?
You never explained it to me
Why I should remain unaccompanied
No playmates of my own, no brother or sister
But left to wonder
About larger families around me

What was it about me
Or did I do something wrong?
Was I too strange, too weird, too odd
An alien little boy
Too hard for you to cope with
Or was having a child
Just not what you’d expected?
And why did you both go from me
Leaving only questions, never any answers?

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: