Search This Blog

Friday 21 February 2020

Clearing Out The Freezer


Clearing Out The Freezer

Last week I decided to defrost the freezer
Cause the door wouldn’t close any more
The ice had continued to build up
And icicles were covering the floor

It’s a ritual that we all have to endure
One that fills us with justified fears
But you’ve got to do it pretty regular
Well – let’s say at least once every five years

I disconnected the power – a simple first step
And left it to get itself started over-night
But when I woke up next morning
The shelves were still jammed solid alright

I decided it needed some help to get going
And set about it with a big hair-drier
This’ll soon melt the ice, I thought
This’ll get it off to a flier

But nothing seemed to do much good
The perma-frost was still inches thick
So I started hacking it with various tools
A knife, a saw, a hatchet and a bloody big stick

It was very slow going through the pack-ice
Several crevasses I had to unpick
I was soon surrounded by icebergs
And felt like Scott of the Antarctic

Finally the ice came away in lumps and in cubes
But the knife-edge slipped onto my wrist
There was torn flesh and rivers of blood -
Well I’m sure that you get the gist

Slowly the great melt had set in
The water flowed in huge floods
I wrenched out the top drawer
And at last I could get to my goods

The kitchen was awash with the deluge
Buckets and mops were in demand
The freezer floated slowly around
As if it was looking for the nearest dry land

Gradually I gained access to the interior
To the shelves and the mysterious drawers
To the frozen packages held therein
And I rushed to discover them without pause
  
Well, it was like opening a treasure chest
Or going on a magical mystery tour
To dig out the long-lost containers
And wonder what any of them were for

The labels had all faded or melted away
So no clues as to what was therein
No idea when they’d been squirreled away
It was hard to know where to begin.

It’s amazing how frozen food all looks the same
When it’s covered in crystals of ice
One lot of gloop looks like another
Was it something disgusting or nice?

Did I really freeze two spoonfuls of fried rice?
Are these pork sausages or somebody’s fingers?
There’s curry stains on the side of the boxes
It’s yellow and the smell of it lingers.

It was when I got down to the bottom
When I got past the things that were mere filler
That I began to have some tiny regrets
About my previous life as a serial killer

The hands, the feet and the arms
Were well wrapped up as a disguise
Was that somebody’s nose and their ears?
Was that a skull with still-frozen eyes?

A leg and piece of somebody’s back
A few ribs, a couple of kidneys and a liver
I only barely remember cutting the guy up
The blood must have flowed like a river

Still, I can’t be bothering with that now
There’s no way of getting around it
I’ll just do what everyone else does
And stuff it all back in where I found it!


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: