Search This Blog

Friday 15 May 2020

My Busy Lockdown Day


My Busy Lockdown Day

This enforced lockdown isolation
Has turned my daily life upside down -
My old routine’s all shot to shit
Now I’m not supposed to walk to town

No longer getting up to go to work
Means I don’t need to set the alarm
But this doesn’t mean I get to have a lie-in
Or that the day passes all peaceful and calm

Now broadband communication’s a wonderful thing,
And so is social media and things of that type,
Cause everything happens online these days
As we all use Messenger, Zoom and Skype

The day’s simply packed with new activities
There’s just so much I’ve got to do
It’s just one bloody thing after another
Doing many things I didn’t know I knew

After early sessions of yoga and meditation,
There’s DIY, gardening and reading
Then I’m learning to play saxophone
Tho’ my ears have started bleeding

After lunch I learn Swahili and Serbo-Croat,
And other skills that are life-enhancing
I’m also looking into darts and scuba-diving,
Decorating birthday cakes, and belly dancing

Later I’ll re-arrange the titles in my book-case
To form an interesting background
You never know where they’ll be looking
When the video meeting comes around

I’m building a scale model of Buckingham Palace
Using only patience, glue and matchsticks
My 5000-piece jigsaw dominates the lounge
And I’m completing it naked, just for kicks

Tonight I’m shouting at the neighbours
Using many expletives and such
I’m not requesting any help from them –
It’s just that I don’t like them very much

Tomorrow I’ll bake bread using only sawdust
Or other random items I can get
I’ve removed the labels from all my cans
Now it’s like playing nutritional Russian Roulette

I’m wondering just how many combinations
Of sandwich fillings I can possibly make
I’m slowly crawling up my newly-decorated walls
How much more of this am I expected to take?

I’m bored of shouting at politicians on the telly
There’s only one answer that I need to get –
Because now that time has lost all its meaning
Is it too early to start drinking yet?

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: