Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 July 2020

Resistance Is Futile


Resistance Is Futile

I come unbidden in the daytime
When you’re least expecting me
And I come through the darkness of the night
A silent deadly creeping death
An assassin attacking from your insides
Where you cannot touch me
Nor even look upon me

You try to fight me with your lockdown
With your isolation and your distance
You summon up your drugs and treatments
Your doctors and your nurses
But wheeling out your ventilators offers no defence
And your sweet Nightingales cannot save you

You battle me with your statistics
Your mathematics, your graphs and curves
As if these things were weapons
You trot out your mantras and your slogans
To warn everyone of my approach
As if this could make a difference
But you cannot stop me with your words and numbers
Nor with any of your rules and regulations
Which your policemen cannot enforce
And no-one listens anyway

Only when I’ve slowed the turning of your planet
And stopped your busy working lives
Only when I’ve taken out your loved ones
Will you pay me any mind
But then you’ll relax and breathe easy once again
And think that I’ve left you all alone
But I’ll still be waiting in the wings
Unsheathing yet another little spike

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2020

No comments: