Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 November 2021

Bit On The Side

Bit On The Side

I said that I could never do this -

Give myself up to words and waiting, wishes and whispers

Which disappear like mist in the morning

When I awake alone

With the sun rising, poking its light through blinds

Hastily drawn last night

 

I said that you should not come

Whenever the mood just took you

Leaving her alone with your alibis

And feeble excuses

To sneak your way to me

Turning your key in my lock

To find me always alone, ever-waiting,

Too desperately pleased to see you

Aching for your smile, your touch, your kiss

 

I said I would not live like this

Sharing short hours of stolen time

Mistress of your hidden desires

Fed by promises, endearments

And guilty late-bought offerings

A life unnaturally discreet

Behind closed doors

A kept pet within a cage

Your plaything, what you will

 

I said I could not exist alone

Caught between blind hope and cold despair

Bereft at your every going

Angry at each desertion

Hanging on, spoiled but tortured

Our coupling in the early evenings

No longer love nor lust, but only longing

For you to stay with me and stroke my face

And hold me through till morning

 

I said that I should live a life more normal

And be with you for all of the time

Together every day

Not just when you can steal away

To scramble my feelings

And tangle my bedsheets

 

Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2021

No comments: