Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 November 2021

Clown

                                                             Clown

Your appearance startles me

As I gaze upon your features

A false face with rictus smile

Wide-eyed, red-nosed grease-paint make-up

The wig, the hat, the jacket

Huge shoes and trousers

Ill-fitting coloured patched-up garb

Exaggerated, extravagant and eccentric

 

Your gestures make me flinch

Wild anarchic actions

Expansive and grotesque

Flapping, slapstick prat-falls

Tumbling to the crash of cymbals

Comedic foolish fall-guy

Miming pain and sorrow, a parade of emotions

And silent appeals to the comic gods

 

The crowd’s reaction does not move me

Their laughter growing

Mounting to crescendo

Faces smile-illuminated

Marvelling at the timing

Of the crazy performance within the circus ring

Watching Whiteface and Auguste

Conducting clowning chaos

 

But your deadpan muzzle leaves me cold

Your sinister expression

Raises phobic fear and terror

My voice sticks in my throat

To me you are no joking jester

Nor clowning priest of mirth

But a chill reminder of a childhood nightmare

A presence from dark anarchic night


Copyright Andy Fawthrop 2021 

No comments: